Friday, November 9, 2018

A mushroom hunt in the woods


Last weekend my wife and I took a stroll in the woods just to clear our minds and with the hope of finding some mushrooms as we were on our last few bags in the freezer.
Not that we really thought that we would find anything, it is November after all. But it didn't take too long to find a batch of Funnel Changerelles.

Craterellus tubaeformis, Yellowfoot, winter mushroom, or Funnel Chanterelle

Craterellus tubaeformis, Yellowfoot, winter mushroom, or Funnel Chanterelle

Campanula rotundifolia, or Blue bell in November
After spending some time harvesting them we started to hear noises in the woods in front of us. Something large was moving around and at first our thoughts went to wild boars as we had seen quite a lot of signs from them already.

After walking some hundred meters again, we spotted some Fallow Deer on the nearby field and I decided to try to stalk them a bit to get a photo with my phone (sadly I did not bring my good camera). I think I got within 40 meters of them with no way closer without exposing myself or making a lot of noise due to sticks and old leaves on the ground.
Fallow deer photographed with phone camera 10x zoom (Huawei Mate 10 Pro) Crappy quality at this zoom level
Had to use 10x zoom on my phone camera to get a picture.
Once I was done with that I started to move back towards my wife who was sitting 30 meters behind me but as soon as I moved I stared a doe right in the eye. I had not noticed them coming up on me on a path from my right without seeing me. But as soon as she saw me, she bolted and the buck that was right behind her did the same. Had I just sat still for 30 seconds longer, I would have had the perfect photo opportunity. But that picture will be in my minds eye for a long time.

We also found some golden chanterelles after this but I was too mind blown so I forgot to photograph!

Cleaning up the days findings

I classified this post as a 'micro adventure' as it is a break from our normal life and let us get outside. And this time it really felt like an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ON Cloudventure Waterproof, walking on clouds.

In preparation for this fall I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes that would keep my feet happy and dry even during wet conditions. Fo...