Friday, February 15, 2019

Kona Sutra 2019 Finally arrives, unboxing and assembly


It finally arrived... After some delays and change of vendor I finally got the Kona Sutra 2019 yesterday.
If you are interested in why I chose the Kona Sutra for my Stelvio 2019 (and hopefully other) adventure,




In this post I will cover the unboxing of the package as I received the bike from a Post Nord delivery point (seems very hard to find touring bikes in actual physical shops in Sweden). I will also go through the final assembly that I ended up doing myself.

A big box, 165 cm long and 80 cm wide
The box that the Kona Sutra was delivered in was quite big, 165x85x30 cm, it just and just fit in my car (I could have chosen home delivery but then I would have had to wait another day....)

Box is open and you can spot this years Seafoam green in there. handlebar is not attached and the back rack visible. No saddle

My first Brooks leather saddle, nicely packaged and already mounted on the saddle post.
Stem needed to be redirected and fastened, shifters and brake leavers were already attached to the handlebars.
Tools needed, 3, 4 and 5 mm hex keys... Here to attach handlebars to stem

Saddle and handlebars in place, starting to take form and now able to attach to my workstand. Sorry for the clutter in the background, it's a crowded training/storage/workshop room! : )



The mud guards are plastic (only part that feels cheap). Front wheel attached. You will need a 5 mm hex for the through axle and 3 mm hex to fine tune the break pad distance.I.e. to remove scraping sounds..


With all parts attached (no pedals) the Kona Sutra 2019 weighs in at 14.5 kg for a size 58 frame. The weight of a Kona Sutra was impossible to find before buying the bike. So I hope this helps someone else in their decision making!
Kona Sutra 2019 with all delivered parts assembled. I.e. no pedals but with a back rack

At this point the bike is in its original state. All stuff from Kona attached. I recommend you to go through all bolts and nuts on the bike to tighten them before going for a ride. Found that half of them were not tightened.


Pedals

I chose the Shimano PD-M545 pedals for my Kona Sutra 2019. Mostly as I want SPD pedals but still have the option to use normal shoes on days when my feet are tired (or to ride to the store when home).


Unboxed Shimano PD-M545 pedals.  I was a little stressed when chosing, could have saved 100g and 100 SEK by selecting the rubber/plastic platform instead of the aluminium one... But bikester only had 1 bike left in store and I really wanted it!

Racks

I removed the standard back pannier rack and attached my Surly Cromoly Front Rack 2.0 Silver instead as my plan is to only go with a pair of front panniers.

Finished. My brand new Kona Sutra 2019 with Shimano PD-M545 pedals and a Surly front rack


First thoughts

Riding up and down the street with hex keys in hand to adjust saddle height and fork etc.
At this point I've pretty much just done the final assembly and ridden the bike up and down the street to fine tune saddle and handle bar / fork angle.

But the very first thought was, yes this was a good choice!

Disclaimer
I bought this product myself and this is my opinion on them. I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of this product. Neither did I get paid to link to any site that is mentioned in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ON Cloudventure Waterproof, walking on clouds.

In preparation for this fall I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes that would keep my feet happy and dry even during wet conditions. Fo...