Thursday, May 30, 2019

How to mount a Surly Front Rack on the Kona Sutra


This is the answer to a question on how I mounted the Surly Front Rack on my Kona Sutra 2019, that was asked by a reader in my review of the bike post.

Basically I following these 2 guides that I found from Surly.

And this PDF: https://ja.surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads/Surly_Front_Rack_Instructions.pdf

The tricky part was to figure out what plates to use.

  • Lower offset sliding plate
    • for the lower mounting
  • Upper offset sliding plate
    • For the upper mounting 

Also, the Kona Sutra came ready with mounting points on the fork, so that is a fixed point as well.

The lower mount point for front racks on the Kona Sutra

Lower mount point of the Surly Front Rack close up


Upper mount point of the Surly Front Rack close up

The hardest part was to actually straighten it out once all points were in place. I.e. the rack tends to move around when you try to adjust it by loosening, adjusting and tightening. But that was solvable with some patience.


So, hope this helps someone out there!



Disclaimer
I bought this product myself and this is my opinion on them. I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of this product. Neither did I get paid to link to any site that is mentioned in this post. 

1 comment:

Featured Post

ON Cloudventure Waterproof, walking on clouds.

In preparation for this fall I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes that would keep my feet happy and dry even during wet conditions. Fo...