Sunday, May 5, 2019

Brooks B17 Saddle First Impressions


It is time to write a little about my first impressions with the Brooks B17 Saddle that came with my Kona Sutra adventure bike!

First of all, I have had trouble finding a comfortable saddle during all of my cycling years. I've grown used to the discomfort and actually just not thought about it more then it being a part of the sport.

The Brooks saddle was one of the reasons that I went for the Kona Sutra as it was included in the price and because I've heard so much positive about it.

I am using padded cycling shorts with my Brooks saddle.

Out of the box

Out of the box I followed the instructions and used the included profide both on top and on the underside. Let is stay for a day and wiped the top with a dry rug.
2 days later I went for my first ride and my initial thought was, should it be this slippery?
For my second ride, the slipperiness had vanished and I was able to enjoy the ride.

Initial thought, this saddle is really hard. I mean, my racer saddle is hard but this is harder.

3 day bikepacking trip, ~25 hours in the saddle over 480 km

Picture showing the Brooks B17 Saddle on a 2019 Kona Sutra adventure bike outside a school in Godegård, Sweden.

The initial test, commuting to work is fine, about one hour each way. I did some longer rides up to 3-4 hours as well with no problems. But last weekend we went on a 3 day bikepacking trip just to test our gear and our own limits in preparation to this summers Stelvio 2019 trip (that we had to cancel thanks to me not being fit enough yet after chemo.)

I can't really say anything else then that I am surprised of how good the saddle worked. No soreness, no nothing. From that point of view I could have kept on going for an even longer period.

First impression conclusions

I am happy with the saddle and would recommend it to anyone.. I am even thinking about buying one for my racer.. But we'll see.


Disclaimer
I bought this product myself and this is my opinion on them. I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of this product. Neither did I get paid to link to any site that is mentioned in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ON Cloudventure Waterproof, walking on clouds.

In preparation for this fall I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes that would keep my feet happy and dry even during wet conditions. Fo...