Friday, September 21, 2018

6 best sites for finding the perfect front rack


If you, like me, are in the middle of planning your next big adventure in the bike saddle, you might also try to figure out what front rack you should buy. There are so many options, from light weight to extreme duty..
Hence I compiled a list of sites that try to cover the most popular ones and try to help you and me both answer the question: what touring front rack should I buy?


Uncle John's Bike Shed: Low rider comparison
A comparison of 12 low rider front racks for your adventure bike build

Cycling about: All About Front Racks For Bicycle Touring
While Uncle John focused on low rider, cycling about goes through what other styles are available. Meaning that there are even more choices to make

Bicycle Touring Guide: Bicycle Racks for Touring
Not specifically front racks, but gives great information on how to think about load balancing between front and rear racks

the VeloOrange blog: Front Rack Basics
Old post but still relevant regarding all you need to know about front racks

Pedalshift: Hacking a rear bike rack as your front rack
Why not? There are probably a ton of reasons not to, but its a possibility that might be worth exploring if you already have a rear bike rack lying around.

reddit: Pros and cons of bikepacking rear bags compared to racks and panniers? 
Not strictly about front racks but gives a little perspective that might help out. I.e. is racks and panniers the way to go for you or are there better options available.

So for me, after reading all this I think that I would go with either the Tubus Tara or Blackburn Outpost rack, having that extra platform in front could prove useful. A lot to think about. And we also have the Bontager Front Rack and Specialized Pizza Rack to think about that were not included in the above posts. Evidently according to some forum posts I've come across the pizza rack might not fit all bags? Have to read more on that as well.
Then as always there is the budget, The Tubus Tara might just be the rack for Stelvio 2019 as they are cheap, sturdy and can carry a load.

In the end, I think I have to have a real re-think about how I will load my bike for the Stelvio 2019 tour.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ON Cloudventure Waterproof, walking on clouds.

In preparation for this fall I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes that would keep my feet happy and dry even during wet conditions. Fo...